The 2021 IAB NewFronts featured several media platforms sharing the virtual stage. Please see below for key learnings from the presentations:
- Roku: The streaming TV company unveiled its first original programming slate. They also responded to requests for more flexibility, confirming 2-Day cancelation options and unlimited expansion opportunity.
- FuboTV: The sports-first live TV streaming platform announced the launch of a branded content studio for advertisers, and a partnership with LiveRamp to enhance its addressable advertising capabilities.
- Vizio: Vizio represents 20% of the Smart TV market. Yesterday they announced a partnership with Verizon that will create audience extension campaigns & cross-device mapping between Vizio TVs & Verizon devices.
- YouTube: Touted its TV screen reach, emphasizing its position as a true competitor for linear TV. YouTube highlighted new ad products including Brand Extensions and YouTube Select Sponsorships.
- Conde Nast: Said it will bring back 75 series and introduce 50 new pilots across its portfolio of 17 video brands, including Vanity Fair, GQ Sports, and Vogue. The publishing giant also shared CN’s video network delivered 10.3 million unique incremental viewers who were not reached by broadcast or cable in 2020.
- Verizon: Verizon Media highlighted its out-of-home and augmented reality activations. They positioned their omni-channel tools as a solution for advertisers to break through the clutter.
- Snap, Inc: This social platform relies on “The Snapchat Generation” – digital natives with little to no memory of a world without smart phones – reaching 90% of people 13-24 and 75% of people 13-44. Original programming drives traffic to the Discover feed, and Snapchat unveiled nine upcoming series.
- BBC News: Addressed consumer trust. The concept of trust has changed over the last decade, with an emphasis on corporate social responsibility. Consumers prefer to invest in companies/brands that are inclusive, take a stance on social issues, and drive change.
- Twitter: Unveiled a several branded content deals with NBC, Billboard, Genius, Refinery29 and Tastemade. Twitter additionally used its presentation to spotlight Curated Categories. The new pre-roll ad product allows marketers to place ads on within a range of specific/niched content.
- TikTok: Urged marketers to find a way to fit into the conversations and trends on the platform to resonate with its users.
- Meredith Corp: Introduced new measurement tools for video advertisers and a slate of programming, with a focus on entertainment and women’s experiences.
- NBCU: Introduced a new ad unit for Peacock called Spotlight in which advertisers can pay for their ad to be the first shown to anyone watching Peacock within a given period to emulate the reach of prime-time ads on linear TV.
As we know, the media landscape is constantly evolving and the NewFronts is evidence of that change. By attending the NewFronts, agencies like Media Works remain on the forefront of media developments. The premiere platforms, those that present at the NewFronts, are the trend setters for the industry.
This post was written by Shana King, Account Manager.